Our History

A Heritage Built On Quality Care

Healthwin was founded in 1908 as a hospital for the treatment of tuberculosis (TB). It operated for the first six years from its location on the present-day site of Potawatomi Park. St. Joseph County took over operations in 1914 and moved the facility to a 94-acre site at our present location. Soon after this move, Miss Louise Studebaker of the Women’s TB League coined the “Healthwin” name, suggesting it as a place where “one could win back their health.”

Healthwin’s physical footprint grew over the years, and the hospital continued to specialize in the treatment of TB until 1962. Advances in the treatment of TB prompted the facility to be licensed as a “chronic disease” hospital. In 1973, the East Wing was the first at Healthwin to be licensed as a nursing home facility. The last chronic disease wing was licensed for long-term care in 1995.

Also in 1995, Healthwin became a “specialized care” facility, and a local board of directors took over operation of Healthwin from the county. We continue to operate today under a local board, specializing in rehabilitation therapy, comprehensive nursing and long-term care.